Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Favorite Restaurant Ever









I was finally able to go back to my favorite restaurant EVER last night for a little July 4th celebration! I know I have told you girls about L'Albatros before, the most amazing restaurant up in University Circle (Cleveland). This is the place that our server at the Melting Pot was suggesting for a Corkscrew girl's night out.

This restaurant is French. For that reason it is extremely difficult for me to get Matt to go! He's not into French food much , but it's not too expensive so I try to get him to take me more often than he'd like! French food consists of a lot of meat, cheeses, creams, cream sauces, mushrooms, and strange "things" that Matt refuses to eat. (escargot, chicken liver, anchovies, etc.) However French desserts are usual very light and fresh. You are NOT going to find anything here that is plain, but everything is WONDERFUL and very flavorful. But for those picky eaters there are many meals that come with "FRENCH" fries!

This place is gorgeous. The atmosphere is very modern. You have to book at least a week in advance, but in the summer time it is easier because their huge patio is open and Case Western is out for the summer.

Now onto the food pictures! This was the best
pomegranate martini I have ever had. You name any kind of drink/martini and they will make it. They are not shy with the vodka :) They bring unlimited warm bread around and there is olive oil, and also a mustard seed spread at each table for the bread.

We were so hungry that we forgot to take pics of the appetizers before digging in, oops! I had my usual favorite salad ever, The Frisee and Bacon with Poached Egg salad with Vinager and Dijon Mustard. WOW. That's all I can say, best salad ever. Tastes kind of like breakfast. In Matt's quest to find some sort of salad or appetizer he likes here, he ordered the Pulled Pork with Spices and Toast Points. I really liked it but it was definitely unusual, more like a chicken salad spread made from pork with toasted bread, pickles, and beets.

Onto the greatest meal of all time, the Mussels with Pomme Frites (french fries) with spicy aioli sauce. It's basically about 20 mussels in the most amazing broth ever with tons of fries and spicy sauce on top. I have had about 4 meals here and this is my favorite. Matt LOVED his meal, the Chicken Breast with caramelized fennel and goat cheese. The goat cheese was a huge portion of goat cheesy mashed potatoes.

The desserts here are all very fresh and light tasting. We shared a Warm Brownie with Vanilla bean ice cream. This was fantastic, and there were lots of nuts, chocolate chips, and dried cherries in the brownie.

If you ever want a special night out, this is the place to go. The chef that owns this restaurant owns 3 others in the Cleveland area and we are going to have to try them all at some point. But it's hard not to keep coming back here!

-Michelle

1 comment:

  1. The martini is right up my alley! I love the decor. It sounds wobderful and I think I might have to get my mom up there. John is not fond of French food either. His experience in France was not so good where the food is concerned.

    ReplyDelete